Baking day today.
In keeping with my penchant for colorful confectionery
(see our other lurid creation here), Emily, Jenna and I
made what Emily calls Princess Cookies.
They were first made for her Princess-themed birthday party
last year, which was how they got their name.
This mold is a family heirloom on indefinite loan from
Auntie Laura, who made these cookies for sale when I
was a little girl. I have vague memories of her and Mum
making them assembly-line style and packaging them in
little polystyrene trays. All that fascinating colored sugar!
The original recipe makes a dry dough that retains all
the pretty points when baked but is very hard to push
out of the mold - Mum and Auntie Laura tell me it was
a two-man (woman) job back in those days. Ever lazy and
short on manpower, I make them now with a standard
sugar cookie recipe which is softer. Emily decided she
wanted pink dough so we tinted a portion of the dough
Then the rows were cut into shorter pieces and the kids
decorated them with colored sugar. Lovely Kate was kind
enough to sit quietly in her bouncer so we could work.
Emily completed these before she ran off to play
with playdoh (slightly insulting).
Sadly, Jenna's didn't quite survive her probing fingers.
Never mind - she prefers the quality control tasting job anyway.
We gave some away to our neighbors to thank them for various
kindnesses shown this week: babysitting Jenna while we were at
a doctor's appointment and a gift of sunglasses to Emily. Emily
got to deliver the cookies and convey our appreciation and
Jenna added her first three-word sentence, "Mom made it".
5 comments:
they look too pretty to eat ;)
I've never quite figured out if it is safe to eat cookie dough, as is? Any insight? Like, one of my housemates used to eat store-bought refrigerated cookie dough (Pilsbury) raw, and I just wasn't sure if that was a fast road to salmonella poisoning etc...
Hi all, I learned (from same baking powder/soda guru in next post) that store bought cookie dough has pasteurized eggs so ok to eat. same kind that goes into ice cream (the type with cookie dough bits). but home made cookie dough has regular fresh raw eggs so not a good idea to eat, although the kids will still sneak some when my back is turned.
What I'd like to also know is how did you make the coloured sugar (assuming that you made it...but of course!)?
Those cookies look like they are gonna be a hit with children of ANY age... And that cookie press!Oooh!
I really can't wait for Nikhita to grow up a little so I can do such fun things with her too (then again, I CAN!) :)
Ah the colored sugar - hopelessly difficult, of course. But no point keeping it a secret if others can benefit -take sugar, put few drops of food coloring, stir.
Post a Comment