Monday, September 8, 2008

Broaching Bupbillas


Well, the day I've been working myself up to has arrived 
- tomorrow Emily begins preschool.

This evening, I sewed her name on her new bag for school. 
We tried to find a small backpack for her but they were all 
for older, bigger kids. For a few insane days I entertained 
the thought of sewing one for her, 
but finally decided I was too human to try.

But this post is really about something far more important than 
backpacks. Tonight I had the Bupbilla Talk with Emily. You know, 
the one in which we finally bring it out in the open that bupbillas 
are perhaps known by other names by the rest of the (less interesting) 
world. Couldn't bring myself to let her go to preschool thinking 
bupbilla was wrong, could I? 

Me: Hey, Emily.
E:  Yeah, mom.
M: (tickling her midriff and poking her in her bupbilla) What's this?
E:  Bupbilla.
M: Does the bupbilla have other names?
E: Yeah - belly-button.
M: (nervously) So, other people call it belly-button and we call it bupbilla sometimes. 
E: Mm-hm.
M: Bupbilla is sort of our family word for belly-button, right?
E: Can we go and play now?

Ridiculously relieved and a little sad. 
She already knew about belly-buttons. 
She went and grew up while our backs were turned. 
  

6 comments:

Daljeet said...

Awwwww!

When she was 3 or 4 yrs old, my niece (Shana, who is now 10) referred to her little bolster as a 'pipu-pipu'. One day, just before she started pre-school actually, my brother was talking to her and happened to mention her pipu-pipu. She looked at him and said, "It's a BOLSTER, Daddy!"

Yes, they do grow up quite suddenly, don't they?

Anonymous said...

Don't be sad. There will be time enough for that in the future.

Incidentally, does Jenna use the right term for it? (I'm assuming Kate doesn't speak yet)

LiEr said...

By "right term" do you mean bupbilla? Yes, of course.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! At least the rest of the world finally knows what Bupbilla means. I was hoping it was the pacifier but that would be so uncool.

jabby7 said...

hey! E's bag looks great! i just think ur creativity skills are just so amazing! it must have been a bittersweet experience sendng her off on her 1st day of school.

LiEr said...

I don't know about bittersweet but I certainly felt lost! Incidentally, I did not sew the bag. I wish I sewed the bag. Sigh. But I only sewed her NAME on the bag.