Warning: Contains bizarre facts and foreign words!
In traditional Chinese culture, a new mother spends the first month
after the birth of her child in what is known as a "confinement period".
Believed to be exceedingly weak after the ordeal of birth, the
hapless woman is literally confined to her home and made to rest,
her only duty being perhaps to feed the newborn. The advantages
of this are obvious: she gets to avoid household chores for a whole
month! The downside, though, is the new mother's hygiene (or lack
thereof) since baths and showers are forbidden, to protect her weak
constitution from the dangerous temperature fluctuations arising from
contact with water. And no shopping, for fabric or otherwise.
Thankfully, our family does not see the sense in this particular
charming aspect of our culture and has continued to take at least
two showers a day, even in the dead of winter. And when each of
my three children were born, household chores, cooking, laundry
and everything else in that genre continued at the same
breakneck pace as before.
Having mum and dad here four months after Kate was born feels
oddly like I'm in a confinement period - but only the good parts.
For one, two other pairs of hands reach for Kate when she needs
to be played with. For another, two other pairs of hands load and
unload the dishwasher, washer and dryer each day.
And best of all, I get to eat the comfort food of home -
made by mum and QC-ed by dad.
This is what was on our kitchen counter at lunchtime today -
- all the fixings for rojak! Minus the santan flower, but some things
cannot be had for love or money in this part of the world
so we happily did without.
And bubbling merrily away in the crockpot was pulot hitam
(black rice) . With santan! But without the pandan leaf or the
gula melaka - sadly forgot to buy. Here's another tragedy:
the bag of rice had been sitting in the pantry for months;
I didn't have the time to make it and had to wait till mum
Ah, glorious food. Non-Chinese, of course. I was always partial
to non-Chinese food - I mean, why eat Chinese food when you
can have Malay, Indian, Peranakan, Indonesian, Thai?
Sometime next week we are going to make sambal belaccan.
Rest assured that we will try to contain the smell - we want our
neighbors to still be our friends when mum and dad have gone home.
After that colorful meal and naps for the kids (who ate sandwiches
for lunch, incidentally), we headed out to a park.
A happy day!
And with a little child-care juggling, we all
took a total of 9 showers/baths today.
4 comments:
I'll pass on therojak, but pulot hitam!! Envy. All I had for lunch was chicken and chips from a fry shop cos I was seized by the unholy desire for fried food. Thankfully, they did not dunk the whole chicken pie into a vat of grease - it would have tasted divine, but I think I would have died from the caloric overdose.
How much weight, exactly, have you lost? You're looking fab:-)
Where did you get the yew char kway? :p
what a great smile Kate has!
Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification on the blog roll. Makes sense :). And thank you again for the nice compliments. You're right...even if ideas come from others, our hands actually have to do it!
Thanks for adding me to your blog!
Post a Comment