We are in Moorhead, celebrating Easter with family, feasting and fun. Easter is possibly my favourite 'religious' holiday, even more so than Christmas. It's hardly because it's less commercial than Christmas - the stores are full of chocolate (no complaints) and bunnies and easter hampers like you wouldn't believe. I rather think it's because it is the climax and happy ending to the glorious drama that is the life of Christ on earth. What a story! How life-transforming! How it makes a person want to belt out that old hymn, "Amazing love! How can it be? That Thou my God shouldst die for me?"!
Realized something interesting while I was getting all sentimental about music and hymns - there aren't as many popular Easter songs as there are Christmas ones. Perhaps because there is so much ambience to the Christmas season- chestnuts, snow (for those of us who are particularly lucky), presents and getting all cosy around the fire/indoor heating vent. What might people sing about the ambience of Easter? I'm postulating things like spring allergies, snow (for those of us who are particularly unlucky), personified rabbits and eggs playing hide-and-seek. Hmmmm.
So I went and found some very old Easter songs I used to sing in youth group/church/bathroom in years past. Be mentally prepared for some of the outfits and hairdos in these videos - if you don't already know how old I am, it will become clear before long. Here are three of my favourites:
Ron Kenoly's Jesus Is Alive.
And, to reassure you that I also listen to slightly moderner music occasionally, here are two newer ones (i.e. from the last decade)
Enjoy!
2 comments:
I was going to say "hey, we sang that song in church today" (the Amazing Love one) but then I realized you said it was an old hymn. The one I'm familiar with is a new worship song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPn14fCdVn0
and one of my favourites.
Happy Easter greetings from Singapore, Dave, Lier and the kids!
Indeed I was about to comment on Chris Tomlin's Amazing Love - and how much of a "fan" i've become of his worship songs this yr!
And it IS amazing that there is still snow in April! It is now super hot in Singapore!
Post a Comment