Tuesday, March 6, 2012

More Salsa, With Mango This Time



Sorry about this being another salsa post. I finished the last batch and had half a red onion leftover in the fridge, and cilantro, besides. So of course had to make more salsa. Went out and bought a mango. I don't eat mangos in Minnesota. They're oddly crunchy and sour and haven't got much flavor, even when they're sweet(ish). I've been spoiled on those slender succulent Philippine mangos and the delectable, gigantic (they're the size of a small loaf of bread) Taiwanese honey mangos. Why would people eat crunchy mangoes? Except in salsa, of course. Here's the recipe for this mango salsa. I made it up, so it's completely experimental and personal-taste-ish.


Ingredients (just mix together in a bowl):

  • Half a red onion, chopped.
  • Two cans Rotel tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 serrano pepper, or more, finely chopped
  • Half to one whole lime - start with the juice of half, and taste.
  • Chopped cilantro - I used about 1-2 tsps.
  • One mango - cube the flesh - the sweeter, the better.

I still have cilantro, so I might have to make Chipotle's knockoff lime cilantro rice. This also means I have to make the barbacoa meat that goes with it. Drats. That seems like more work than I need, just to save the cilantro. We'll see.



No comments: