Friday, August 7, 2015

Hummus


My first taste of hummus was several decades ago in England, of all places. I was a traveling companion to an aunt (hellooooo Auntie Moe!) and she introduced me to hummus. Also taramasalata, which I thought was funny because it was pink, but that doesn't come into this story much. Both were delicious, but both were forgotten after that vacation and I'd returned to Singapore, where it's hard to find either (since neither are particularly local favorites).

Years later, I rediscovered the store-bought kind here in the US, and ate it with everything and in everything (except desserts). 

But I'd also wanted to make it myself, especially since everyone says it's so ridiculously easy. So I did. 

The only reason I'd waited this long (apart from my general propensity for procrastination) is the ease with which one can pick up an inexpensive store-bought tub in a multitude of flavors and brands. Why make when you can buy? is my life motto, because it saves time which, unlike money, one can never earn back.

Then one day I found tahini in my regular supermarket, lurking inconspicuously next to the peanut butters - without even having to go hunting in a gourmet grocery store, mind you! - and decided that the stars had aligned. 

It was as easy as I'd heard, and more delicious than.

Here is the recipe.
I didn't make any changes to it, but I did add leftover black beans to half a batch and pureed them in.

I'm not discriminating against store-bought, though - all hummus is good.




1 comment:

Katie M said...

Now that we live back in Singapore, I make my own hummus all the time. Sometimes I add a whole bunch of beetroot slices (the non-vinegary kind) into the mix and it makes lovely beetroot hummus.