Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chocolate-Butterscotch Haystacks

My friend Raelynn shared this recipe with me last year and we tried it for the first time this year. Yum. These haystacks remind me of the cornflake bunches we used to make in mini muffin liners as kids, but this is a much crunchier version.

Ingredients:

  • 1 bag (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 bag (6 oz) butterscotch chips
  • About a cup of roasted peanuts (ours were lightly salted)
  • 1 bag (12-16 oz) chow mein noodles


Method:

  1. Melt chips in double boiler. We found that melting the butterscotch chips first was helpful, since they took a longer time to liquefy than the chocolate chips.
  2. Stir in everything else, and form into bunches on wax paper.
  3. Store in fridge but thaw slightly before eating.


I went to the supermarket to buy chow mein noodles for the first time in my life. I found it quite funny that, considering that I'm Chinese,  I couldn't remember what they were called at first, while trawling the aisles in search for them. I don't think we have chow mein in Singapore, just like we don't have fortune cookies. Or Singapore Noodles, whatever they may be. 

No comments: