Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas To Me


After a fair bit of research, I finally went out and bought this one. There were others with great reviews - Borsch, Electrolux, but they also seemed very pro-baker; the sort for folks who need to bake 50 loaves of bread and 20 batches of ultra-chewy bagels per day. I just need one loaf every 2 weeks or so. And that temperamental sugee (semolina) cake every now and then. Wish we had Kenwood (what Mum has) here. I think it used to exist, but it's been reacquired by somebody else, and given a new name, and a new uh... reputation, so... pffft. 

Fancy, but still infinitely cheaper than the Pfaff Industrial Sewing Machine that was also on my Covetousness List this year. I want to sew neoprene and vinyl so bad. But we have no room for a industrial machine in the house right now, so a stand mixer it is. If we can't outfit the family in wetsuits, at least we can feed them bread now.

It's still in its box, by the way. Too many cookies on my counter right now to share space with a mixer. I'll unbox it today and take more photos of it later.


5 comments:

Laura said...

That is on my to covet list too. Now that you've done the research maybe I'll keep my eyes out for boxing day sales!

Lindsey said...

That is a wonderful Xmas present! I confess, we didn't have a stand mixer growing up...just the underpowered hand mixer. I had no clue as to what I was missing. My husband insisted we put one our our wedding registry years ago. :) But, boy do I think our family every time I pull it forward to use. *cough* Almost daily. Heck, at this point I'm almost thinking 2 would be even better than one awesome one. *grin* Enjoy many wonderful baking years with your kitchen helper!

LiEr said...

Thanks, Lindsey! I grew up with Mum using TWO mixers going at the same time when she was doing her crazy baking for the holidays. We never owned a hand mixer. I didn't even know what they were till I came to the US. It felt very underpowered, as you said, but as I was re-learning to bake using US ingredients and recipes (why do they use cups for butter, for heaven's sake? Doesn't anyone measure ingredients using a scale?), the books all mentioned hand mixers. I didn't seem to need a stand mixer then. Also the kids were little then, and I didn't want to buy a stand mixer till I knew I was going to have time to bake stuff that required one. Now I can!!

Jessica said...

oooh! I love my mixer, and it's a USA company, which is great. Check out the "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" book, and you may make loaves many times a week like we do. Seriously awesome. 4 ingredients, no flour on counters or floor.. a cookie sheet with a silicon mat, and a large container for the fridge, and you're all set. LOVE our mixer. :)

DangAndBlast! said...

I use my grandmother's, must be over 30 years old. (Non-polarized plug should be a clue to date it.) Works beautifully still, and the newer accessories (ice cream maker...) all work with it.