Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Swimming Lessons

A plea before we proceed, Singaporean family and friends: pleeeeaaaase do not scoff at these indoor photos. Yes, I absolutely believe that swimming in an indoor pool is about the saddest form of sports, but that is all we have here. Emily kept saying, "I wish we could learn to swim in the fresh air." ("And brilliant, warm sunshine and balmy breeze, albeit slighty tainted with the fragrance of durian," I wanted to add). Me, too, Emily. I miss swimming sooooooooo much. Even enough to be in an indoor pool. I repressed all memories of golden tans and palm trees (never heard of those, what are they?) and plunged right in. Without sunscreen.

But enough of me. On to the girls!

Emily and Jenna are in their last week of swimming lessons. There's Emily in the middle of the pool, in her turquoise two-piece and pink goggles, floating on her back with the teacher.

Jenna and I are at the bottom of the photo - Jenna is practising calling 911 on her foam cell phone.



Here is Jenna, in her white-with-blue-polka-dot swimsuit jumping into the pool. This is her favorite part of swimming lessons. Emily (top of photo) is blowing bubbles.

The girls really, really like swimming lessons, in spite of being hesitant to even put their faces in the water when we began. We will probably continue their lessons through the fall and winter, and have Kate join them, if we can coordinate the times. We're practising for Singapore, see.

Must find a way to get in this pool (even if indoor and half-Olympic size) on my own so I can practise as well. It's been years. Can I even do 10 lengths? 5? I doubt it.

No comments: