A short post tonight. We've been away for the weekend
and had a lovely time at Thanksgiving with family. We
ate a little too much. And we all got a little sick so we're
taking the next few days to slowly get back to normalcy,
whatever that looks like in our household! This also
means a late start to Christmas preparation for us.
We're putting off buying our Christmas tree, for instance,
till well into the first week of December. Will post
pictures of our Thanksgiving trip soon.
In the meantime, here's an addenum of sorts to the earlier
kitchen gadgets post, to include a somewhat underrated
gadget from our kitchen - the electric frying pan.
When we were living in Singapore, we bought one on our
first visit back here, along with a voltage transformer
that cost as much as the pan itself.
Because it has a temperature-callibrated dial (rather than
the Low-Medium-High dials on the ones in Singapore),
it is wonderful for cooking when the temperature needs
to be specific and constant. It is also wonderful for recipes
that begin with stove-top cooking and end with time
in the oven: we just set the temperature, fry,
put on the lid and let the food bake.
Sadly, we hardly used it in Singapore, but we shipped it
with us when we moved, with hopes that it would be put
to better use here. Since then, it's been given a new lease
of life as a wok for stir-fries, a fryer for chicken, and a
skillet for french toast and these very
evenly-golden-brown pancakes!
3 comments:
You know, I completely agree with your implied motto of "must have whatever makes cooking hassle-free".
Which is why I love my slow cooker and electric steamer cos with these, you just basically dumped EVERYTHING into the pot and let the machine do the work :)
I love how your pancakes look - so round and golden brown. I miss pancakes.
The funny thing about London - it's almost impossible to find pancakes at restaurants, cafes etc. There are no 'diners' here (well, there is one, but it charges an arm and leg for everything and is a total rip-off, so I discount it), so pancakes have become a luxury. The grocery stores sell 'syrup cakes', which are pancakes with syrup baked into them. In a pinch, these would do if not for the fact that they have suspiciously long shelf-lives, which causes me to think they are actually some kind of cake in disguise.
Sorry I rambled - point is: I miss pancakes:-(
We used our electric skillet for years, but have now upgraded to the very large-surfaced lefse griddle. It can fit about 6 good-sized pancakes, which is becoming more and more handy these days!
Post a Comment