Thursday, June 26, 2008

Garage Sale Treasures


The girls and I LOVE garage sales but we don't get 
to go to as many now as before Kate was born. 
Kate is a good baby - she's probably the most well-behaved 
of the three girls when we are at a rummage sale - 
but it is often not worth the effort to drive to these places, 
have everyone disembark, open the giant double stroller, 
install the two smallest children in it, and then enforce 
a reasonable budget on Emily's spending, only to march up 
the driveway and discover that the colourful and exciting items 
we'd spied from our car window turned out to be 
floral bedding, power tools, out-of-season ornaments 
and some battered stuffed toys. 

So imagine our joy when we discovered 2 neighbors 
having garage sales today! Within walking distance! 
Even if we found nothing worth buying, it was still 
a good excuse for a walk around the block in the morning. 
And so we loaded up the giant stroller with small children, 
put $1 in Emily's little purse, and off we went.

Look how successful (if you could consider 
parting with money "successful") we were! 

All this for under $10:

I found this gem of a dollhouse - 
as a rule, I don't buy toys for myself but 
I had to make an exception this morning. 

Front
Back
Inside - a charming little bunny family of four, 
with sofa, armchair and bed (complete with bed linen). 

Kind Jenna has put the Mother Bunny to bed - 
something to vicariously enjoy, seeing that 
it's a place I don't spend enough time in myself.
Someday, like when the girls are teenagers, it would 
be fun to try and sew a reasonable facsimile of this 
(with maybe a Pig family instead) as gifts for friends. 
Hey wait, their kids will be teenagers by then too. 
Oh well.

No comments: